Have you ever seen a movie so bad that you had to tell everyone about it? For me, that would be Yoga Hosers – the 2016 “attempt” at making a teen action comedy by Kevin Smith. Over the holiday break, I watched this movie for the first time. It must have been VERY late at night, because the only thing I remember about it was that it was terrible. Yoga Hosers is the textbook definition of nepotism, as Smith cast his daughter, Harley Quinn Smith, and her best friend, Lily Rose Depp, as the two leads. This movie is like driving past a car crash because you just can’t look away.
- Do you think Kevin Smith wrote all of the songs in this movie?
- I don’t think that many people would want to come to a mini-mart within a span of ten minutes.
- When will Austin Butler stop being cast as a teenager?
- These people’s Canadian accents are almost worse than their acting.
- Why would anyone trust a guy named Yogi to teach you yoga?
- Don’t you hate it when you have to pause a movie just to read the title cards?
- Where did the idea for this movie even come from? Smith says the idea for Tusk and Yoga Hosers came to him during a podcast. I think he has a deep-seeded hatred for Canada.
- Harley Quinn and Lily Rose aren’t too bad singers, but they keep making awkward eye contact with the camera.
- Wiener dogs aren’t evil.
- Movies like this give millennials a bad name.
- Much like Yogi Bear, I don’t think Kevin Smith understands how copyrights work.
- Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you always bring a weapon.
- These special effects are borderline Syfy Channel level of bad.
- STAN LEE CAMEO
- When one of your villains is a foot tall Nazi sausage, I expect to have more sausage jokes.
- Yoga isn’t going to help you here.
- Why is the Bratzi’s insides bright orange?
- As an American, I have no clue how the Canadian justice system works. This is a complete guess, but I don’t think that they have suspects share the same police interrogation room.
- If I had a secret lab, I probably would put it in the bathroom too.
- This guy’s accents are very bad – like an annoying theater kid trying to do a British accent level of bad.
- After reading some reviews, I’m surprised that no one brought up how Yoga Hosers blatantly ripped off countless other movies.
In many ways, this was just a remake of Smith’s cult classic film Clerks. The only difference was that this time, it was teenage girls in Canada with Nazis. One thing I truly liked about the film was the graphics, but that was about it. Like with most Kevin Smith films, it seemed like the film was just one big inside joke that no one understood. I get that artists should take risks, but most of Smith’s career has been a risk that has had no payoff.
As I start to enter adulthood, I’m starting to realize that these kinds of movies aren’t designed for me. This was made for pre-teen girls, and I know that I probably would have loved it seven years ago. That doesn’t give it a pass though, because the plot was still trash. Leads Harley Quinn Smith and Lily Rose Depp weren’t terrible in their roles and had chemistry, but their acting still felt kind of stiff in front of the camera. Kevin Smith has both directing and writing talent, but he needs to start making content that isn’t just for his small fan base. I think Smith needs to work on projects that he doesn’t have full control on. When someone has too much power, things always fall apart. Currently, Smith has been killing it on the CW. He directed my favorite episode of The Flash, “The Runaway Dinosaur”. Smith is currently working on the final film in the True North Trilogy, with the kind-of-sequel to Tusk and Yoga Hoser called Moose Jaws.