I might have lied to you a couple weeks ago when I said that hamburgers are the most American food out there. Ask anyone, but nothing is more American than a homemade apple pie.
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, diced and chilled
- ½ Ice Water
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 3 Gala Apples
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a standing mixer or in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Then using the mixing pallet or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until it starts to form coarse crumbs. Add the ice water one tablespoon at a time to form the crust.
- Divide the crust in half, and wrap them in plastic wrap. Put this into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Clean off and dice your two kinds of apples. (Feel free to peel off the skin if you want.) Add them to a large bowl, and combine with the cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Take one of your crusts out of the freezer, and roll it out to fit into the pie tin. Spray down the pie tin with cooking spray, then carefully put the crust into the pan. After this, pour in the apples and put this into the fridge.
- Either in a saucepan or a small skillet, melt down the butter on a medium-high heat. When melted, add in the flour and mix together to make a paste.
- Stir in the water, ½ cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Let this simmer on a medium heat for three minutes. While the sugar dissolves, keep stirring during this step. Remove from heat and set to the side. Stir every minute or so to make sure it stays smooth and doesn’t burn.
- Now take the other pie crust out from the freezer. Roll it out into 12-inch rectangles using a rolling pin. Then cut out 12 even strips.
- Take the pie out of the fridge, and on top of the apples lay on six of the strips. Fold back every other strip on itself, and lay down one of the other strips. Then fold the strips back up. Repeat this, but now use the other strips that weren’t folded back the first time, and add in another strip. You basically just weave the strips of crust together, but here’s a video reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK bLX AHbc
- Once the top crust is woven, slowly pour on the cooled down sauce on top of the pie. Make sure you get it around the edges and tap the pie onto the counter so that the sauce seeps down a little into the apple filling.
- Bake in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes, followed by turning down the heat to 250 for 30 minutes.