Recently I’ve been in the mood for soup. Before I tested this recipe, I’ve never made tomato soup from scratch. Though the canned version is easier, making it at home means you get to control what you’re putting inside of it.
- 1/4 cup Basil
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 crushed Tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Either in a large blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic, and onion until it’s a liquid consistency. (I like my tomato soup to be more liquidy than chunky, so I like blending this before I start.)
- In a large pot, bring the tomato base to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to low, and stir in the sugar and butter. Mix until they melt and combine in.
- A quarter cup at a time, pour in the heavy cream while continuing to stir.
- From here, add in the basil and thyme.
- Let this simmer for 5 minutes, and serve.