O Valentine’s Day! The one day of the year that couples make sure you know they are couples. Once again, I’m single. Luckily, I have my best friends and a dog to show my affection to.
Whenever I’d have a school party back in elementary school, my mom would bring a tub of cream puffs. It wasn’t until I was 10 or 11 that I realized they were just from the freezer section. I took my mother’s sarcasm for the truth when someone would compliment them, and she’d say “I worked all day on them” followed by a laugh.
Though I’m sometimes critical of America’s reliance on GMOs, I’m happy that I can get ripe strawberries in the winter. If you can’t get your hand on fresh strawberries, or if you don’t like them, this recipe can be made without them or with a different fruit.
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Eggs
- ¾ cup Whipping Cream
- ⅓ cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 cups Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring to boil water, butter, and vanilla. In order to get the hollow-ish inside and hard outside shell, we have to make this puff pastry on the stove top.
- Then in the pan, add the flour and salt. Keep stirring with a spoon until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and beat in the eggs until smooth.
- On a baking sheet or silicon sheet, make 8 equal mounds of the dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Next, take them out of the oven and remove them from the sheet. With a toothpick, cut a small hole on the bottom so the steam can escape. Then, put them back on the sheet and cook for an extra 5 minutes. After they’re done baking, let them cool for about 2 hours.
- Normally, you would pipe in the cream, but I want to stuff them with strawberries. Now, cut the puffs in half, and with a spoon scrape out the inside.
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream. Once foamy, add the confectioners’ sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold in about 3/4 of the sliced strawberries.
- Fill the puff with the cream, then layer the remaining of the strawberries. Then add more cream on top of the strawberries. Finally, add the other half of the puff on top.