With the countdown to Hawaii now being in the single digits, I wanted to get into the spirit of making something that reminds me of the island. I’ve never been to Hawaii, but I know I like Hawaiian pizza. So I wanted to add those flavors into a sandwich. I wanted to go the extra mile and make bread too, so I made the bread (without nuts and cranberries in it) that I used a while back in my Turkey Apple Cheddar Sandwich recipe.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 Sourdough Loaf, sliced
- ½ Mayo
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- 2/3 pound Deli Sliced Ham
- 1 cup Pineapple, crushed
- In a small skillet over low heat, combine the butter and onions.
- Once the onions soften after a few minutes, add in the poppy seeds, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- After it reaches a simmer, let it set there on the stove for two minutes.
- Spread on the mayo on the outside of two pieces of the bread. Then flip them over. On one slice, spread on the mustard that we just made. Then, layer on a piece of swiss cheese. Next, add on the ham, followed by about 1/4 cup of the pineapple. Top that off with the other slice of bread with mayo on top.
- In another skillet over medium heat, place the sandwich on the skillet and flip it after three minutes. Allow the other side to cook for an additional three minutes.